Crime Stats South Africa displays the latest and historic South African crime statistics in an easy-to-understand format. You don’t need to know anything about police precincts or provincial boundaries. You can search, by address, for your area on a map of South Africa and immediately access the information you need.
We have created this analytical application to be used as a guideline for the reported crimes in South Africa. This should in no way influence opinions on the purchase of a new home, the management of a business or other such matters. The SAPS release the latest crime statistics annually.
Crime Stats SA is the initiative of Meerkat Data Management our online data capture and reporting system. It means that any of our users are able to securely access the system and use it from any place on the planet where an Internet connection is available. No special software is required on any of your PCs – the system operates through any of the standard Internet web browsers.
The Heatmap displays all the precincts in South Africa to you. Each precinct is colour coded.
- The number of total crimes for the category or categories you have chosen are sorted numerically and then divided into 5 blocks, called quintiles.
- The first quintile contains the precincts in the bottom 20%, so they have the least crimes. They are shown in green.
- The fifth quintile contains the precincts that have are in the top 20% in terms of number of crimes, in other words they have the most crimes. They are shown in red.
- Therefore the colour of the precinct, from green to orange to red, indicates how many crimes it has in comparison to the others.
- In the advanced Search you can drill down to the area and crime types.
Click here to view the worst ten precincts : largest number of reported crimes in Western Cape
This content curated for Chas Everitt Cape Town South